10.10.2011

day two: scrubs


i have always hated wasting money on jars of scrubs to find out that the chemicals (i guess) irritated my sensitive skin, but i really like exfoliation.  so, after many experiments, here are my favourite three.  they cost pennies to make and i can make them in under a minute with ingredients that i always have on hand.

face scrub: 1 part olive oil to 1 part sugar.  i do this about once a week.  i can skip the moisturizer afterwards too.  it's important to use pure extra-virgin oil.

microdermabrasion: 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water.  make a paste, apply to clean skin in small circles and rinse well.  these kits are SO expensive and having it done professionally is even more.  i find this to be just as effective and do it about once a month.

body scrub:  i made up my own recipe on this one.  i found olive oil to be too heavily scented to use all over my body.  i also tried salt scrub, but i tend to cut myself and rubbing salt on my skin just didn't seem like a great idea.  you don't have to, but i've enjoyed experimenting with my essential oils in this scrub.  the scent lingers on the skin.  do NOT use fragrance oils.  they are not the same.  they are synthetic and highly irritating to the skin (or at least mine) and mostly used for candle making.

2 comments:

  1. Shanda, I love you and your body scrubs! I can say by experience how awesome these scrubs are :)

    ReplyDelete